There are countless options for hair treatments and conditioners available for purchase at the market, drug store, online and elsewhere. Consumers spend millions on products designed to help them have more beautiful hair, but the companies that make those products don’t want them to know that many hair problems can be resolved by something that’s probably in your kitchen right now: olive oil.
In fact, if you’ve got high-quality olive oil, it will work just as well if not better than those expensive store-bought products.
Not to mention, if you’ve ever looked at the ingredients in a bottle of conditioner or other hair products, you’ve probably noticed that most are things that you can’t even pronounce, let alone identify. As we’re exposed to a hefty dose of chemicals every day anyway, using these items just increases exposure, putting our health at greater risk. Those chemicals can damage your hair more in the long run too.
Olive oil is an all-natural solution, as its fatty acids, including oleic and linoleic acids, are especially nutritious for the hair and scalp, coating the shaft of hair strands, helping to keep it healthy and protected. If you use hair dyes, straighteners, blow dryers and the like, that can damage the outer layer of your hair; olive oil coats damaged outer layers of the hair to give it a smoother, sleeker and healthier appearance.
As olive oil is also rich in antioxidants, it will help battle those free radicals that can damage healthy cells and even cause premature graying. One of the biggest benefits of olive oil is its high level of antioxidants that fight off those harmful free radicals that contribute to premature aging, including those grays, while they also work to protect the hair follicle to keep it healthy and strong. As the oil is also an emollient, it’s able to penetrate the shaft better than any other type of oil to create a shinier appearance with improved elasticity.
There are lots of ways to use olive oil to achieve more beautiful, gorgeous locks, including the following (keep in mind that the measurements for ingredients, when included, are for about mid-length hair, if you have waist-length hair, you may want to double the amount; if your hair is short, using half may be optimal).
1. Olive oil deep treatment for damaged hair:
Dry, frizzy hair is something that many of us struggle with, and it can occur anytime of the year, caused by the rays of the sun in the summer, and a lack of humidity in winter. While most people head to the salon for treatment, or a store to get the latest hyped moisturizing products, in this situation, it pays to be different by getting the solution from your kitchen cabinet.
For this deep treatment, you only need one ingredient, the olive oil.
1. First, protect your clothing by draping a towel around your shoulders.
2. Comb out your hair gently, and then pour one teaspoon of olive oil into your palm. Apply it to the ends of your hair by massaging the strands gently. Work on small sections, one at a time, applying the oil to all of your hair, stopping about one inch from your scalp.
3. To help the oil penetrate, use a blow dryer on medium heat, holding it about 8 inches from your head. Blow dry for a few minutes.
4. Leave the oil on your hair, determining the length of time by how damaged it is. If you only have minor dryness, leave it on for 45 minutes, but if you have extensive damage, which often occurs from coloring and chemical treatments, leave it on for 2 hours, or overnight by keeping your hair covered with a shower cap.
5. After you’ve allowed the oil to thoroughly penetrate the hair, shampoo to remove the oil and rinse well.
2. Fighting flakes and dry scalp:
A dry, flaky scalp can be caused by many different things, including poor diet, like not getting enough vitamins B6 and B12, as well as stress, climate, and other factors. This recipe features lemon juice combined with olive oil. The acidity in lemon juice helps to rid the scalp of loose, dry flakes, while the olive oil moisturizes newly exposed skin on your scalp.
1. Combine two tablespoons fresh lemon juice with two tablespoons olive oil two tablespoons of water.
2. Massage mixture into damp scalp and allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Rinse and then shampoo hair.
Apply the treatment every other week to keep those flakes away.
3. Olive oil for longer, stronger hair:
If you want longer, stronger, healthier hair that shines, when used in the following recipe, olive oil, can help. This treatment utilizes the incredibly rich proteins, vitamins and nurturing fatty acids of egg yolks, which serve to strengthen the hair follicles and shaft so that they’re less prone to damage and breakage, including split ends. Olive oil also strengthens and softens, helping to treat dry, damaged hair while also exfoliating and even bringing out the color of your hair.
This treatment is so effective that you only need to do it once every other week.
1. Mix two egg yolks with two tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Dilute the mixture with 1/2 cup of cool or cold water. Note: Never use hot water as it can start to cook the eggs, and would result in a huge, smelly mess in your hair that’s very difficult to get rid of!
3. Once you’ve mixed the eggs, olive oil, and water, slowly massage the treatment it into your scalp, and then let it sit for about 20 minutes.
4. Rinse hair well – there’s no need to shampoo unless you want to.
4. Super moisturizing avocado, egg and olive oil hair mask:
If your hair is seriously suffering from dryness, including severe damage, brittleness, and lifelessness, this recipe combines the powers of egg and olive oil with the creaminess of avocado. The three super powered ingredients blended, work extraordinarily well when it comes to nourishing the hair.
Avocado is loaded with healthy fats and serves as a natural moisturizer and conditioner for the hair. Its high moisture content not only helps to moisturize but to plump up dry hair, to give it a healthier, more lustrous appearance. It will also help make your locks, silkier, softer and shiner. This creamy green-hued fruit is filled with antioxidants that even aid in stimulating hair growth, and preventing hair loss too.
To make the avocado, egg, and olive oil hair mask, you’ll need 1/2 of an avocado, one egg and one teaspoon of olive oil.
1. Scoop out the flesh from the avocado and put it in a blender. Blend well, until smooth and completely lump-free. Don’t skip this step as a puree consistency without lumps is essential.
2. Add egg and olive oil to the blender. Blend again until you achieve a smooth, thick consistency.
3. Transfer blender contents into a clean bowl.
Now that the mask is ready to apply, follow these steps carefully for the most effectiveness, and to avoid a big mess.
1. Start with a clean scalp by washing your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo. It’s important that your scalp is free of oils and excess dead cells. If your scalp is dirty, and hair follicles are clogged with oils, dirt, dandruff and excess dead cells, the hair mask won’t be able to penetrate, making application pointless.
2. After shampooing and your hair is still wet, scoop up some of the mask and begin applying it to the scalp, gently massaging it in. Afterward, coat all of your locks with the mask thoroughly, applying a generous amount the ends of the hair, where the most damage occurs.
3. Now put your hair up in a loose bun while allowing it to deeply penetrate the hair follicles. Wait at least 5 minutes before rinsing.
4. After the mask has penetrated the hair, rinse it thoroughly with cool or room temperature water. Be sure to rinse well – when you’re done there should be no egg/avocado/oil smell whatsoever.
5. Gently towel dry, preferably with a micro-fiber towel and then allow it to air dry.
5. Special Spring Olive Oil Hair Treatment:
After a long winter, with hair exposed to all that dry indoor heat, the hair needs some nourishing relief. Spring isn’t just for cleaning; it’s time to feed those dried out tresses. This simple hair treatment using olive oil and frankincense essential oil, helps to condition, nourish, and improve both the elasticity and strength of your hair.
For this treatment, depending on the length and thickness of your hair as mentioned earlier, you’ll need 1/2 cup of olive oil, five drops of frankincense essential oil and a plastic bag or shower cap that can fit over your hair.
1. Pour olive oil into a jar with a lid, and then add the essential oil. Place the lid on the jar and shake well to disperse the oil. Allow it to sit for 24 hours in a cool, dark place. Just before using, shake well.
2. Rinse hair with warm water, and then warm one tablespoon of the oil mixture by rubbing it into the palms of your hands. Use your fingertips to gentle the massage the treatment into your scalp, using a circular motion. Repeat until your entire scalp has been massaged with the oil, and finish by rubbing the ends of your hair with any remaining oil.
3. Place the plastic bag or shower cap over your hair, and secure with a hair clip, allowing the oil to remain for at least 30 minutes.
4. Afterward, rinse well, and then shampoo as normal.