Tara Fela-Durotoye is a Nigerian makeup artist and lawyer who is known as a pioneer in the bridal makeup profession in Nigeria. The CEO of House Of Tara who also has her own brand of makeup products clocked 40 years yesrerday, March 6. She is the cover girl for the latest edition of Thisday Style Magazine.
We give you 10 phenomenal things about Tara Durotoye.
1. Tara Fela-Durotoye was born at St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos on 6th March 1977 to John Ejegi Sagay, a commissioner at the Federal Civil Service, Nigeria and Felicia Omaghomi.
2. Her parents separated when she was eight months old; and being a polygamous home, she was brought up by her stepmother, Modupe Agnes Sagay.
3. She started her education at Command Children School, Victoria Island and proceeded to Nigeria Navy Secondary School, Ojo. In form 5, she was made the Sanitary and Welfare Prefect. She graduated from the Lagos State University, with a degree in Law.
4. She started House Of Tara as an undergraduate in the Faculty of Law, Lagos State University in 1998.
5. She launched the first bridal directory in 1999, set up international standard makeup studio, and established the first makeup school in 2004. She launched the Tara product line, comprising a range of professional tool kits (such as make-up boxes, brushes and purses) for make-up artists and a wide range of make-up products including eye shadows, eye liner, foundation, powders and lip gloss.
6. The House of Tara, her flagship business has under her supervision won a kit full of awards including but not limited to the Right Vision Movement Award Creativity & Productivity Makeover Outlet of the year 2006, The Africa SMME Award presented in South Africa, the Entrepreneur of the Year award 2007 and the Creative Business Award of the Year, Success Digest 2008.
7. In 2013, Tara was nominated as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum and was also named one of Forbe’s ’20 Young Power African Women’.
8. Tara was also the brain behind the 2014 Makeup in Nigeria Conference (MINC), the first ever gathering of makeup professionals in Nigeria
9. She is a graduate of the prestigious Stanford SEED Transformation Program and this has aided her work as a mentor for thousands of young women across Africa and a standout entrepreneur.
10. She is married to Fela Durotoye, a business strategist and corporate activator, chief executive officer of Visible Impact. They have three sons, Mobolurin, Demilade & Morolaoluwa.
See photos below:
Source: Star Gist