You probably have a good idea what foods to eat to achieve a healthy and glowing complexion, but unfortunately eating as much kale as you want won’t save your skin if you’re chugging down numerous cans of soda. The foods you eat count for more than any serum, cream or toner you apply on your face. If you’re fed up with wrinkles, acne and dull skin then it might be time to clean your pantry off the following foods.
1. Simple Carbs. Although it may feel like eating mac and cheese can fix a really bad day, know that this may also accelerate the aging your skin. Choosing simple carbs like white bread is what causes your blood sugar to skyrocket, thus speeding up the formation of wrinkles on your skin. Simple carbs metabolize the same way as sugar, and then converts into glucose. After that, the glucose sticks to and damages wrinkle-fighting proteins like collagen. So if you feel the need to eat some carbs then try consuming whole grains like brown rice and oatmeal instead.
2. Dairy. Some studies show the association between acne and dairy, but not a direct cause and effect. Still, some dermatologists believe that dairy increases acne due to the testosterone content found in the milk, which stimulates the oil glands of your skin. So if you ever suspect that your skin doesn’t respond well to dairy, consider eliminating it from your diet for a month or two, and see if there are any changes in your complexion.
3. Caffeine. Although it might perk you up in the morning, too much caffeine intake won’t be doing your skin any favour. Caffeine is diuretic, and it prevents your body from holding on to the amount of water it needs – thus, resulting to dehydrated skin that makes wrinkles look more prominent. If you’re taking your coffee with sugar and milk, then you’ll be attacking your skin from every angle.
4. Sugar. Believe or not, sugar may cause acne, inflammation, redness, wrinkles, dark patches and sagging skin. Just like simple carbs, it causes insulin levels to spike, causing a burst of inflammation throughout the body. That inflammation is what produces enzymes that break down elastin and collagen, and wreaks havoc on your skin.
5. Shellfish. Surprisingly, shellfish is capable of doing as much damage to your skin as sugar. Shellfishes like clams, crabs, lobsters, mussels, and shrimps contain large amounts of iodine that can clog your pores, inflame your skin, and cause the appearance of splotchy skin. If you’re prone to having acne, do steer clear of other iodine-rich foods like cod, boiled eggs, milk and kelp.
Although there are foods that can help in keeping our skin healthy, there are also those that can cause our skin woes. So do consider changing your diet in a bigger way if any of the aforementioned food is causing a negative reaction to your skin.
Source: Business Talk