The minister of health, Isaac Adewole, has revealed that the death toll of those affected by the meningitis outbreak has risen to 489.
Premium Times reports that the minister also said 4,637 cases of cerebrospinal meningitis were recorded across the country by Monday.
He said with Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Niger and Kebbi states most affected as 171 were confirmed to be the Type C meningitis.
The minister said the federal government would need about $1 billion to procure vaccine to deal with the outbreak in the most affected areas.
“Federal needed $1,087 billion to procure vaccines and administer on some 21 million persons against the meningitis in the affected states,”
He said the federal government has tackled the outbreak in 26 states so far in collaboration with state government and the international community.
Adewole also charged traditional rulers to be more proactive especially in sensitising people about hygiene and the new to stop overcrowding.
He also called on them to tackle corruption which might be a problem.
“You must stop corruption, when funds are released, utilise the funds properly by tracking and proper monitoring.”
Abdulazeez Yari who is the chairman of the Nigerian governors’ forum said his state, Zamfara, was badly affected due to lack of information and sensitisation but since it received 45,000 doses of vaccines,no new case had been detected in the last three days.